Results

 


 

Bunny consisting of 10% triangles of the original model.

 

Bunny from front

Bunny from back

 


 

Head consisting of 10% triangles of the original model.

 

Head from front

Head from back

 


 

Head consisting of 30% triangles of the original model.

 

Head from front

Head from back

 


 

Head consisting of 50% triangles of the original model.

 

Head from front

Head from back

 


 

Head consisting of 80% triangles of the original model.

 

Head from front

Head from back

 


 

Pumpkin consisting of 10% triangles of the original model.

 

Pumpkin from top

Pumpkin from bottom

 


 

Shell consisting of 10% triangles of the original model.

 

Shell from front

Shell from top

 


 

Sphere consisting of 10% triangles of the original model.

 

Sphere from top

Sphere from side

 


 

Teddy consisting of 10% triangles of the original model.

 

Teddy from front

Teddy from back

 

 


 

Comments:

The main obstacle was to implement the algorithm correctly. I had several problems marking the invalid triangles and managing the potential pairs for contraction. This lead to funny effects such as holes appearing, e.g. the mesh became disconnected or rather large triangles being drawn across the whole model. The former maybe could have been used for some sort of melting or acid effect. Finally I got it right with help from Michael Eigensatz. The head consisting of about 50'000 triangles was by far the most time consuming object; also I put more stages of it onto the page.